- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
- 2 small onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, depending on spice preference
- 4 pound whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry with giblets removed
Place the carrots, onions, potatoes, and peeled garlic cloves in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
Place the chicken on top of the vegetables. Rub the melted butter all over the chicken. In a small bowl combine the salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, and cayenne. Sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over the entire chicken.
Cook the slow chicken on low for 4 to 6 hours, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160-165°F. The cooking time will depend on the size of the chicken and the slow cooker.