- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 links (7 ounces total) mild Italian turkey sausage, castings removed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 jarred roasted red bell peppers, cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a large saucepan, bring the chicken broth and 3 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes.
While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey sausage and saute until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the bell peppers, tomatoes, and red pepper flakes (if using) to the pan and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Drain the pasta, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, and transfer it to a large serving bowl. Add the sausage mixture, 1 tablespoon of the parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss well to combine, adding the reserved cooking liquid if needed to loosen the pasta. Top with the Parmesan and sprinkle with remaining parsley.