- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (4 cups)
- 8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked lobster meat
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray 6 individual gratin dishes with nonstick cooking spray.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions, 6 to 8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk. In a large saucepan set over medium-low, melt 6 tablespoons of the butter. Sprinkle the flour into the saucepan and cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in the hot milk and cook for about 2 more minutes, or until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat and add the cheeses, 1 tablespoon salt, the pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and lobster and stir well to combine. Divide the mixture between the prepared gratin dishes.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoon of butter and combine with the fresh breadcrumbs, tossing to coat. Sprinkle the buttered crumbs over the gratin dishes. Place the dishes on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the bubbling and browned. Serve.