- 2 cups (254 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup (50 grams) poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (from about 2 medium lemons)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) butter, melted, plus more for frying
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Fresh blueberries or other berries for serving, if desired
In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
In a small bowl or measuring cup combine the poppy seeds, lemon zest, buttermilk, eggs, and butter. Add to the flour mixture and stir until combined. Don’t overmix. If not using immediately, cover and refrigerate for up to a day.
Heat a skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Add a pat of butter and allow to get hot before dropping the batter by 1/3-cup spoonfuls into the skillet. Cook until the pancakes are cooked through and golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining batter.
If not serving the pancakes immediately, keep warm on a baking sheet in a 200°F oven.
For the glaze:
Meanwhile, use a fork to whisk together the the sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Add more sugar for a thicker glaze and more lemon juice for a thinner glaze.
Divide pancakes among plates and drizzle with glaze. Top with fresh berries, if desired, before serving.