- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and cooled, or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup (4.5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chocolate mini-chips
- Homemade chocolate sauce
- Ice cream
In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, butter and vanilla, and whisk until pale in color, about 2 minutes. Stir in the buttermilk, then the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
Cook the waffles in a preheated greased waffle iron until done, following the directions for your own waffle iron. Serve immeadiately (or keep warm in a 200°F oven) with the ice cream of your choice and chocolate sauce. Waffles can be made ahead and wrapped in plastic wrap and served the next day or frozen for up to 2 weeks. Rewarm them in a toaster oven.