For the graham cracker crust:
- 1 3/4 cups (230 grams) graham cracker crumbs (from 15 whole graham crackers)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the pumpkin filling:
- 1 15- ounce can (425 grams) pumpkin puree
- 1 cup (200 grams) packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (80 grams) sour cream, at room temperature
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
For the whipped cream:
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream, cold
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
Prepare the crust:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, cinnamon, and butter until the mixture is moistened. Press firmly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan using the bottom of a flat measuring cup or glass. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly golden, firm, and fragrant. Place on a wire rack to cool.
Make the pumpkin filling:
In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine the pumpkin puree, sugar, spices, and salt for 1 minute. You can also whisk by hand, but the final texture may not be as smooth. On low speed gradually add in the cream and sour cream. Add in the eggs and 1 yolk, one at a time, and beat until just combined.
Pour the mixture into the cooled crust. Bake at 325°F until the filling it set at the edges but still wobbly like gelatin in the center and the internal temperature is 175°F, about 50 minutes to 1 hour.
Let cool completely. Serve at room temperature or chilled. If the pie is on the gooey side, chill in the fridge to firm up.
Make the whipped cream:
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Garnish each slice with whipped cream just before serving.