For the doughnut waffles:
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk (any kind)
- 1 1/2 cups (6.75 ounces or 191 grams) all-purpose flour
For the maple glaze:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
To make the doughnut waffles:
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg together. Add the egg and yolk, melted butter, and milk until combined. Stir in the flour until combined. The batter will be thick.
- Preheat your waffle iron. Place a tablespoon of batter in each waffle cavity and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack and repeat for the remaining batter.
To make the glaze:
- In a small bowl whisk together all the glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle or dunk the doughnut waffles into the glaze. Let sit until the glaze is set. Doughnut waffles are best served the day they are made.