- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 20 soft caramel candies, such as Kraft, or Rolo candies
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
In a medium bowl whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to combine.
In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter, cream cheese, and 3/4 cup of the sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, melted chocolate, and vanilla and beat until combined. On low speed slowly add the flour mixture and beat until incorporated.
Use a medium scoop to roll dough into a 1 1/2-tablespoon sized ball. Break the ball in half and place the caramel in the middle. Seal the dough around the caramel. Repeat with all the dough.
Combine the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar with the cinnamon in a shallow dish. Roll each ball of dough in cinnamon sugar and place on prepared baking sheets. Flatten with the bottom of a measuring cup.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are set, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cookies cool on pan for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.