- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 (4-ounce) salmon fillets, skin removed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 avocado, skin removed and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 cups salad greens
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
For the salmon:
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients except the salmon. Coat the salmon fillets evenly on both sides with the spice mixture, pressing the mixture in so it sticks.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy preferably nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the salmon and cook until blackened on one side, about 4 minutes. Carefully turn the fillets and continue cooking until the other side is blackened and the salmon is tender, flaky, but not overcooked, about another 4 minutes.
For the dressing:
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Press plastic wrap against the surface of the dressing and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large bowl combine the salad greens, tomatoes, and cucumber. Divide the mixture among four serving bowls and top each with a salmon fillet. Drizzle with dressing. Serve.