- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (about 3 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons smooth almond butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 4.75 ounces white whole-wheat flour (about 1 cup)
- 1.5 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 350° and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats.
Place the first 4 ingredients (brown sugar, cream cheese, butter, almond butter) in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed until well combined (about 2 minutes). Add 1 teaspoon lemon rind, vanilla extract, and egg yolks; beat until well blended.
For most accurate measurement, weigh flours with a digital kitchen scale. If you don't have one, lightly scoop flour into measuring cup and level with a knife. Combine flours, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt using a whisk. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; beat at low speed until well combined. Combine the remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon and granulated sugar in a small bowl. Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, roll rounds of dough in cinnamon sugar then drop dough onto prepared baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 6 minutes; flatten cookies with the back of a spatula. Bake an additional 6 minutes. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.