Nutella Cheesecake Squares are oh so creamy and are brimming with perfect chocolate-hazlenut flavor!
Happy World Nutella Day! There aren’t many things in this world that are perfect. Nutella may be an exclusion. It’s both creamy and thick and such a wonderful combination of sweet and earthy flavors, my taste buds get excited just thinking about it. If you haven’t tried nutella, you need to (today). If you have and you didn’t like it, we can’t be friends (just kidding. maybe). I’ve made quite a few nutella recipes since I started this blog back in the Spring of ’09 and while its hard to choose a favorite, these nutella cheesecake squares may be mine. I’ve noticed that with many nutella recipes, the heavenly flavor of nutella becomes overpowered by the other ingredients or baking processes leaving the final flavor lackluster. Not these cheesecake squares. The nutella flavor shines through in a rich, creamy, bite sized way.
More Nutella Recipes:
- Nutella Cupcakes
- Nutella Palmiers
- Nutella Ice Cream
- Nutella Ravioli
- Nutella Brownies
- Nutella filled Croissants
Taste: I doubled the amount of nutella from the original recipe and boy am I glad I did. These bars are brimming with perfect chocolate-hazlenut flavor. I’ve noticed that with many baked treats that include nutella, the flavor gets clouded and doesn’t stand out. Not with these cheesecake bars.
Texture: Creamy, oh so creamy. And the crust is buttery with a slight crunch. I love homemade cookie crusts.
Ease: Much easier than making a traditional cheesecake in a springform pan in a water bath.
Appearance: Deeply chocolate-hued bars of luscious cream cheese. These are just begging to be bitten into.
Pros: To die for flavor and texture. Not too mention easier than traditional cheesecake.
Cons: Not exactly health food.
Would I make this again? Oh yes.
How to make Nutella Cheesecake Squares
Yield: 8 large or 16 small bars
Cook: 3 hours
• 20 chocolate wafer cookies
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• ¼ cup brown sugar
• ¼ cup granulated sugar
• 1 cup nutella
• 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• ½ teaspoon vanilla
• 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
• 1 large egg
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 2 teaspoons Frangelico (hazlenut liquor)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line the inside of an 8 inch square metal pan with non-stick foil. Using a food processor, pulse sugar and cookie crumbs until finely ground. Add butter and pulse until moistened and similar to the consistency of wet sand. Press mixture into bottom of pan.
2. Wipe processor bowl clean and add cream cheese and sour cream; process until smooth, scraping side of bowl as needed, then add both sugars, Nutella, cocoa powder, vanilla and espresso powder; process until well mixed. Scrape sides of bowl and add egg and cornstarch and pulse to mix, then add Frangelico and pulse to mix again. Pour over cookie crust.
3. Bake on center rack for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely, cover, and place pan in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to chill. Grasp foil, lift from pan, place on a cutting board and using a sharp knife, slice into bars. For cleaner cuts, dip knife in hot water and wipe between cuts.
Make Your Life More Delicious!
Get new recipes delivered by email and receive my *FREE* Favorite Desserts Cookbook!
© Handle the Heat - handletheheat.com