Sweet Potato Casserole

If this casserole isn’t appearing on your holiday dinner table in some form (there’s about a million variations), then keep reading! If you’ve made this before I don’t need to tell you how deliciously sweet, silky yet crunchy this dish is. My mom made a variation of sweet potato casserole every Thanksgiving and Christmas and in my mind, a holiday dinner table isn’t complete without it. Her variation, however, utilized canned yams. This version uses fresh sweet potatoes and maple syrup which make such a delicious difference. Even she agrees.

Technically, this is a side dish. Really, it should be on the dessert table. I won’t tell anyone if you won’t.

Sweet Potato Casserole
Adapted from here and here

4 large sweet potatoes
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 cup milk
2 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans (chopped)
1/2 cup flour
6 tablespoons butter (softened)

Bake the sweet potatoes in a preheated 375 F oven until they are tender and caramelized on the inside, about 30-35 minutes; increase temperature to 400 F. Scoop the insides of the potatoes out into a bowl (be careful not to burn yourself), discarding the skins. Add the maple syrup, milk, eggs, vanilla and salt and mash with a potato masher. Do not over-mash.

In a separate bowl combine the brown sugar, pecans, flour and butter with a fork or pastry blender.

Spread the potato mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle with the pecan mixture. Bake in a preheated 400F oven until golden brown on top, about 30 minutes.

9 Responses to “Sweet Potato Casserole”

kamran siddiqi — December 22, 2009 at 12:37 am

With all of the cold weather here, I think this would be awesome for me to make sometime this week. Yumm! :)

Tessa — December 22, 2009 at 12:41 am

Kamran- Oh my gosh I've been hearing nothing but crazy stuff weather wise happening on the east coast! This casserole will warm you right up :)

Dawn — December 22, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Gosh that looks so good. I could eat that for dessert.

Latrice — December 22, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Side dish or dessert, I think this would be a great addition to any meal! Thanks for sharing…we'll have to try this one out!

maculeminou — December 29, 2009 at 5:52 pm

What kind of sweet potatoes did you use? I have never seen any that are not orange in color – these look like regular potatoes.

Caro to the Lina — November 24, 2011 at 9:04 pm

This was sooooo delicious! Big hit!

Tess — November 14, 2013 at 3:03 pm

How cool we practically share a name! I like this version cause it is the way me grandmum makes it only she puts marshmallows in hers.

Kristina Hudson — November 17, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Thank you SO much for sharing this recipe! I made this for our early Thanksgiving celebration this past weekend and it was a definite hit! I used fresh yams instead of sweet potatoes because it was replacing the ubiquitous canned yams with marshmallows melted on top- I wanted it to be at least somewhat familiar. Everyone raved about it and informed me that this will be one of the dishes I make EVERY year from now on! :-)

1. Pingback: Teglia di patate di Natale | Ricettepercucinare.com