- Kosher salt
- 2 (9-ounce) packages cheese tortellini
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh Italian parsley, for garnish (optional)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the tortellini and cook according to label directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water, then drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, heat the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the cream and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese and cook until thick, about 1 minute more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add the tortellini to the skillet and toss with the sauce, adding the reserved cooking water to loosen the sauce if necessary. Divide among four bowls and top with more cheese and the parsley. Serve.