- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large head garlic, roasted, cloves removed from skins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish, optional
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, heat the butter, sour cream, and half-and-half in a small saucepan until the butter is melted and the mixture is warm.
Press the potatoes and roasted garlic cloves through a potato ricer or food mill or or mash with a potato masher. Stir in the butter, sour cream, and milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with chives, if desired, and serve.