- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure mint extract
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 10 chocolate wafer cookies
- Garnish: mint sprigs
Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Combine cream, milk, and vanilla in a liquid measuring cup.
Pour 1 cup cream mixture into sugar mixture, and whisk until cornstarch is dissolved. Add remaining cream mixture, and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, and cook until thick, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and add chocolate. Whisk until chocolate melts, about 1 minute.Remove from heat. Add mint extract and butter, and whisk until butter melts. Quickly divide pudding, whisking as you work to prevent sides from setting up, among eight 4-ounce glasses or glass flowerpot votive candle holders (candle4less.com), leaving about 1/2 inch of space at the top of each. Refrigerate until set, about 1 1/2 hours.
Just before serving, pulse cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Top each pudding with 1 tablespoon ground-cookie "dirt," and garnish with a planted mint sprig. Serve chilled.