For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
For the "crust":
- 3/4 cup baking mix (such as Bisquick)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a standard muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, flipping pieces as they brown, until chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 5-7 minutes. Add onion and broth to the pan and bring to a simmer. Add frozen vegetables, salt, pepper, and thyme. Heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes then stir in cheese.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine baking mix, milk, and eggs with a whisk until well combined. Spoon a tablespoon of baking mixture into each muffin cup. Top with about 1/4 cup of chicken mixture. Spoon another tablespoon of baking mixture onto chicken mixture in each muffin cup.
Bake 25-30 minutes, or until pies are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes in pan. Using a thin knife, loosen the sides of pies from pan and remove to a cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes longer before serving.