- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney (optional - I did not use)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
Heat the oil in a heavy stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, jalapeno, curry powder, cinnamon, cumin and bay leaves and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes longer.
Stir in the lentils and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
Discard the bay leaves. Stir in the cilantro (or parsley), lemon juice and chutney. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the yogurt.