Posted by https://www.handletheheat.com/caramel-peach-snickerdoodle-bars/
© 2018 Handle the Heat. All rights reserved.
Caramel Peach Snickerdoodle Bars
For the snickerdoodle bars
- 1 1/2 cups (191 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 stick (113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 ounces (57 grams) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the caramel peach topping
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 cups (420 grams) peeled, pitted, and sliced peaches (from about 4 to 5 peaches – thaw if using frozen)
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Make the bars:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8 by 8-inch metal baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang on all sides.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter, cream cheese, and sugars on medium-high speed until well combined and smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, egg yolk, milk, and vanilla and beat until combined. On low speed, gradually add the flour mixture and beat until combined.
Press the dough into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on top. Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool completely.
Make the topping:
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. In a large bowl, toss all the remaining ingredients together. Add the peach mixture to the hot pan and cook, stirring often, until the mixture thickens, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Top the bars with the warm peach caramel mixture and serve.