- 1 cup spelt flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs (or egg replacers if vegan)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar (or agave syrup)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup milk (non dairy is fine)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (use vegan chips if necessary)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper or foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
In medium bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, pumpkin, milk, oil, and vanilla until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Spread the mixture into prepared baking pan and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the pan comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached. Serve warm or at room temperature. Cut into 16 squares before serving.