Video: Layered Zucchini Parmesan
Layered Zucchini Parmesan is a popular simple vegetarian dish full of flavor and crispy, cheesy texture. Serve this favorite as a main dish or side dish!
I can’t believe we’re already more than halfway through May. I was looking at the calendar and realized that it’s been a year now since I graduated culinary school! Craziness. Last April I also celebrated five years of blogging. FIVE! That’s even crazier. I’ve shared hundreds of recipes throughout the years, and this Layered Zucchini Parmesan has been a reader favorite. It was originally published in 2010, which was before anyone was really on Pinterest. Since then it’s received over 170,000 pins so I thought I’d updated the recipe with a new post and video. Check it out!
Although I’ve been blogging for over five years, it was only last fall that I started blogging full-time. I now have more time to create quality content (like videos!) to share with all of you. There’s nothing better than receiving a comment, email, Tweet, or Facebook post from you telling me that you made a recipe and loved it. That’s why I do this! I recently created a new email for you to send requests to. Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with ANY recipe, video, or post requests. I would love to know what YOU want to see. I’m here to make your life a little more delicious!
Taste: There’s a reason this has been one of the most popular recipes on my site – it’s ridiculously tasty yet simple.
Texture: The crisp, crunchy zucchini paired with the thick marinara sauce and melted cheese is out of control.
Ease: Easy! There are basically two parts to this recipe, and both are very straightforward.
Appearance: Who wouldn’t want cheesy disks of golden brown zucchini with bright red marinara sauce on their table?
Pros: Simple, tasty, meatless option. Pretty healthy too!
Would I make this again? This recipe was originally published in 2010 and I’ve made it quite a few time since then.
Layered Zucchini Parmesan
Yield: 2 to 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3 large zucchini, sliced into 1/3-inch coins
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup marinara sauce, homemade or bottled
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Blot the zucchini coins with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Place the zucchini in a medium bowl and drizzle with olive oil, turning to coat each piece. In a separate bowl, combine the Parmesan, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper.
- Dip each zucchini coin into the Parmesan mixture, turning to coat and pressing the breading slightly to ensure it sticks. Place breaded zucchini coins in one even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until browned and crisp.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 400°F. Coat the bottom of a small baking dish with the marinara sauce. Layer one third of the crisp zucchini coins over marinara, overlapping if necessary. Sprinkle zucchini layer with mozzarella. Repeat the layers 3 times (or until the zucchini is gone, depending on the size of your baking dish) ending with a sprinkling of cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Tessa of Handle the Heat