By the time this recipe posts, I’ll probably be wide-awake and getting ready to depart for Blogher Food. I’ll probably be running around my house trying to blow-dry my hair and pack my carry-on at the same time. I’ll probably worry incessantly about forgetting something only to realize on the way to the airport I’ve forgotten something. I’ll probably panic at the security check-point that my camera will be destroyed in the x-ray machine, despite the fact that it’s not film. I’ll probably get felt up by a TSA agent. I’ll probably get stuck by a baby or a massive human being on the flight.
And if I survive all that, I’ll get to finally meet my friends and partners in crime from The Kitchen Generation. Hopefully I’ll get to meet a lot of wonderful people who I’ve only tweeted, commented, skyped, and facebooked with. Hopefully I’ll learn something to share with you all.
Hopefully I’ll stop rambling.
Hopefully you’ll like this recipe.
P.S. – if you want the lowdown on what’s going on at Blogher Food, follow me on twitter!
Taste: Deeply savory with a hint of sharp sweetness from the fennel.
Texture: The chunks of sausage and mushroom are substantial and meaty while the pasta is tender and rich. The fennel is soft and the entire dish is quite creamy.
Ease: Simple enough for a weeknight meal.
Pros: Easy enough, incorporates a few different vegetables.
Would I make this again? Yes, but I think I might use wine instead of broth next time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, halved through core, thinly sliced lengthwise (about 3 cups), fronds chopped
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausages, casings removed, sausage coarsely crumbled
- 1 8-ounce package sliced fresh baby bella mushrooms
- 4 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1 16-ounce package dried tortellini with pesto filling or fresh tortellini with 3-cheese filling
- 1 5-ounce package fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
Make Your Life More Delicious!
Get new recipes delivered by email and receive my 10 Baking Secrets You NEED to Know - for free!
© Handle the Heat - handletheheat.com