With the super bowl approaching and awards season upon us, now is the time to stock up on tasty appetizer recipes. These savory pastry bites are jam-packed with cheesy, meaty, salty flavor and are pretty much guaranteed to be a hit at your next party. Plus, they can be prepared up to a day ahead of time and thrown (or probably gently placed) in the oven before your guests arrive or before you head out the door to a party.
If you’re wondering how to shape the puff pastry when making these, check out this post by Joy the Baker where she illustrates how to make sweet palmiers.
P.S. – Check out this sweet Nutella Palmier recipe.
P.S.S. – Check out these other tasty appetizer recipes:
Broccoli and Cheddar Potato Skins with Avocado Cream
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Tomato & Goat Cheese Tarts
Taste: Appetizers usually consist of bite-sized goodies to hold you over to your meal. That means each bite needs to be bursting with flavor and these palmiers do not disappoint.
Texture: What is better than the texture of puff pastry? Seriously. Plus melted Parmesan cheese and crisp pepperoni. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Ease: You could make these in the time it takes to go to the store and pick out a (gross) pre-made appetizer.
Appearance: These pastries are shaped to look like elephant ears! Super cute and appetizing.
Pros: Easy, full of flavor, and can be made a day ahead of time (unbaked). Kid & adult friendly.
Cons: None really, besides the fact that this recipe is a tad bit indulgent.
Would I make this again? Yes! This recipe is perfect for parties or gatherings.
How to make Pepperoni & Parmesan Palmiers
*Note: Avoid using puff pastry made with artificial ingredients as it will alter the taste. All-butter puff pastry can be found at Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and other specialty stores.
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen all-butter* puff pastry (half of 17.3-ounce package), thawed
- 2 tablespoons honey-Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces packaged sliced pepperoni (about twenty-four 1 1/2-inch-diameter slices)
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- Mix first 4 ingredients in medium bowl. Cut pastry rectangle in half crosswise. Spread the mustard over both puff pastry rectangles. Place half of pepperoni in single layer atop mustard. Top pepperoni with half of cheese mixture.
- Working with one of the rectangles, roll up each end of the pastry in tight coils until they meet together in the middle to make the palmier shape. Repeat with second puff pastry piece. Brush the top of each pastry log with egg wash and press spiraled ends together so shape holds.
- Transfer pastry roll to medium baking sheet. Chill rolls until firm, about 30 minutes, or wrap and chill up to 1 day. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil. Lightly spray with vegetable oil spray.
- Cut each pastry roll into about 1/4-inch-thick rounds using a sharp knife. Don’t worry if you squish the pastry down a bit, it will bounce back up in the oven. Transfer palmiers to prepared sheets. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to platter; serve.
Adapted from Bon Appetit Cookbook
© Handle the Heat - handletheheat.com