Taste: Rich and savory with a slight hint of fennel seed from the sausage and a lovely cheesy bite from the tortellini.
Ease: Easy to make. It does take some time on the stove top but can be left pretty much unattended.
Appearance: I love the variety of ingredients floating in the rich broth. A sprinkling of parsley adds another pop of color.
Pros: Perfect warming one-pot meal for those chilly December days. This dish keeps well in the fridge if you only add as much tortellini as you plan on eating that day. I added enough tortellini for 2 people, let it cook through, then served 2 bowls. I placed the rest of the soup in the fridge and had it the next day for lunch, warming it up on the stove in a saucepan with enough tortellini for myself.
Cons: None. This dish could easily be made lighter with chicken or turkey sausage too.
Would I make this again? I have some in the freezer!
Italian Sausage Soup with Tortellini
From All Recipes
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup water (or additional beef broth)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 large tomatoes – peeled, seeded and chopped (use a super sharp peeler or this method to peel the tomatoes)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 8 ounces fresh tortellini pasta
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a 5 quart Dutch oven, brown sausage. Remove sausage and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- Saute onions and garlic in drippings. Stir in beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Skim fat from the soup. Stir in zucchini and parsley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add tortellini during the last 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.
Make Your Life More Delicious!
Get new recipes delivered by email and receive my 10 Baking Secrets You NEED to Know - for free!
© Handle the Heat - handletheheat.com