The Ultimate Pie Crust Guide

The Ultimate Pie Crust Guide breaks down small ingredient and technique changes to discover which pie crust recipe is the best!

I have another super fun and hopefully informative guide to share with you today, all about the elusive PIE CRUST! This is another piece in an ongoing series I’m doing in partnership with Relish.com, where you can find the full Ultimate Pie Crust Guide post, with a breakdown of the ingredients and techniques and more pictures.

I made 6 batches of pie crust, changing either a key ingredient or technique as you can see in the photo above. Each change affected the pie crusts’ flavor and texture. Click over to the full post on Relish.com to see which pie crust was my favorite! I was really excited and a little nervous to experiment with pie crust because it can be slightly finicky and frustrating to deal with. I think a lot of us have this misconception in our heads that pie crust is this impossibly difficult thing to make, but that couldn’t be further from the truth! Out of all my past kitchen experiments, making 6 batches of pie crust actually took the least amount of hands-on time. I discovered it was actually slightly therapeutic to make the pie crust by hand. When you don’t have to worry about baking a full pie from start to finish in one day, it’s easier not to feel so frazzled.

Be sure to browse through all the PIE RECIPES I’ve posted over the years to plan your Thanksgiving dessert table!

Also be sure to check out these ultimate guide posts:
The Ultimate Guide to Chocolate Chip Cookies
The Ultimate Guide to Chocolate Chip Cookies Part II
The Ultimate Brownie Guide
The Ultimate Cupcake Guide

23 Responses to “The Ultimate Pie Crust Guide”

Chris Novosel — November 11, 2013 at 7:14 am

The Relish.com link is currently not working. I would love to see your analysis.

• Tessa replied: — November 11th, 2013 @ 8:17 am

The link is working now! So sorry for the inconvenience.

Karyn Campbell — November 11, 2013 at 7:47 am

I keep getting page not found at Relish :(

• Tessa replied: — November 11th, 2013 @ 8:16 am

The link should be working now! Sorry about that!

Patty White — November 11, 2013 at 8:02 am

The links to Relish.com said page not found.
    I use an iPad 3

Erica Lea | Buttered Side Up — November 11, 2013 at 9:18 am

This was an awesome experiment, Tessa! I may have to give the sour cream a try. I don’t have a food processor, so of course I’ll be doing the by-hand method. :)

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — November 11, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Love that you experimented. Cannot wait to read the results so going there now!

Diane @ Vintage Zest — November 11, 2013 at 1:22 pm

So excited to see! I recently tried a crust with vodka and thought it was good, but I would love to see the other results. I’m heading over now. :)

P.S. – I did my own little experiment changing out the flours: all-purpose, wheat, and whole wheat pastry. No blog post about it though, although it would have been a good one. Opportunity missed, dang!

• Tessa replied: — November 12th, 2013 @ 10:14 am

That would have made a great blog post! If you ever do those flour batches again let me know – I’ll link it here!

DessertForTwo — November 11, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I saw Mel (Mel’s Kitchen Cafe) posted an all sour-cream pie crust recipe recently. It must be the new thing! I’ve got to try it! Thanks for your experimenting :)

• Tessa replied: — November 12th, 2013 @ 10:15 am

I love even a touch of sour cream in the pie crust! Will have to try all sour cream.

Gaby — November 11, 2013 at 7:20 pm

So intrigued by the sour cream crust! Love this!!

• Tessa replied: — November 12th, 2013 @ 10:15 am

It’s awesome!! Thanks Gaby!

Maybelline — November 12, 2013 at 9:24 pm

How do you stay so slim? I really enjoy your recipes and the way you present them.

Shanna@ pineapple and coconut — November 14, 2013 at 9:41 am

This is perfect timing for me. I am attempting pie crust for the first time ever and I am making my mom’s pie where she uses a sour cream crust. I love that you do these series Tessa!! Sharing on my facebook page!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes — November 14, 2013 at 10:11 am

I’m a big believer in using both butter and shortening. Also making them by hand because I always seem to over process in the food processor. I’m really intrigued by adding sour cream. I’ll have to give that a try this Thanksgiving. Great post.

Alana — November 14, 2013 at 11:56 am

the Ultimate link keeps overriding to BING search engine. Can you please update the link?

• Tessa replied: — November 14th, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

That isn’t happening when I click the link… maybe it’s something on your browser or possibly an advertisement?

Heather Christo — November 14, 2013 at 1:17 pm

This is SO BRILLIANT. I am headed over to see the results!

Kristen — November 14, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I keep getting ported over to Bing too. Even if I try to stop the link from loading while it’s thinking it still goes to Bing :(

TN — November 16, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I LOVE your ultimate guide series! But I think it is such a pity you didn’t try to make the pie crust with canola oil as the fat ingredient (the oil is mixed with cold water and stirred just until moist into the flour). The crust is so flaky I was amazed a liquid fat could do that! Granted, the flavor was lacking, but it can be such a good diet substitute… at midnight when a huge pms craving kicks in lol

Karlyn — November 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I have always used my mom’s pie crust receipe, which makes 3 single crust pies and uses butter, egg and vinegar along with the other standard ingredients. I am curious as to the purpose of the vinegar and how that affects the end product? What do you think Tessa?