The Ultimate Dinner Roll Guide

The Ultimate Dinner Roll Guide shows how different ingredients make soft, crusty, fluffy, or hard rolls!

Remember when I posted a video and recipe on the Ultimate Dinner Rolls recently? Well I developed that recipe after making six batches of dinner rolls for this Ultimate Dinner Roll Guide post I did in collaboration with Relish.com. I wanted to see exactly what made rolls soft, fluffy, hard, crusty, dense, buttery, or chewy. Click over to see the full post with more pictures at Relish.com.

I started off with a super basic and simple dinner roll recipe as my control and made small ingredient changes in each batch, such as using whole wheat flour, more butter, eggs, bread flour, or absolutely no fat. The results were very interesting and no two batches were exactly alike in taste, texture, or shape. This was probably the most time consuming ultimate guide post I’ve created so far as each batch of rolls needed to rise twice! Despite covering my entire kitchen with flour, I had a lot of fun with this experiment and learned a lot. Hopefully this guide will help you understand how bread baking works a little better so you can make your version of the ultimate dinner rolls.

Also be sure to check out these ultimate guide posts:
The Ultimate Guide to Chocolate Chip Cookies
The Ultimate Guide to Chocolate Chip Cookies Part II
The Ultimate Brownie Guide
The Ultimate Cupcake Guide
The Ultimate Pie Crust Guide

7 Responses to “The Ultimate Dinner Roll Guide”

Martje — November 18, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Relish is doing something funny, every time I click on it it redirects me to Bing.com

• Tessa replied: — November 18th, 2013 @ 1:48 pm

I reported this problem to Relish and they’re working to fix it. In the meantime, you can clear your browser’s cache and cookies or simply click on this link: http://relish.com/?setvalid=1 to avoid being rerouted to Bing. Thanks!

Cookbook Queen — November 18, 2013 at 2:43 pm

LOVE this!! The ones with extra butter look the best to me, but I guess I’ll have to pop over to Relish to see!! (carbs are my friend, so in reality…I am sure I’ll love all of them)

JDaSilva — November 19, 2013 at 7:42 am

As a scientist I absolutely love to see this type of comparison studies you do with well known recipes. The knowledge acquired can then by transferred to other similar recipes which turns the like of an novice cook that much easier.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge! Keep up the good work!
    J. DaSilva

Nutmeg Nanny — November 19, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Awesome! I love seeing how each roll turned out :)

Sue/the view from great island — November 19, 2013 at 6:27 pm

This is awesome, Tessa! I love these kinds of guides, and according to this one, I’m going for the extra butter!

Joanne T Ferguson — November 19, 2013 at 11:01 pm

G’day and looks great Tessa, true!
    A picture is indeed worth a thousand words too!
    Cheers! Joanne