The Ultimate Brownie Guide

The Ultimate Brownie Guide - shows how different ingredients like cocoa powder, oil, brown sugar, cake flour, etc. affect the taste and texture of brownies! From @handleheat

If you’re a frequent Handle the Heat reader you probably remember my Ultimate Guide to Chocolate Chip Cookie post, and the part 2 follow up. Those posts were so fun and popular that I’ve teamed up with the awesome folks over at relish.com to bring you even more posts that deconstruct the ingredients and techniques from your favorite recipes and foods so we can all learn why and how things happen in the kitchen.

Today’s post is all about BROWNIES! You can find the FULL POST at relish.com to learn which brownies were made with cake flour, brown sugar, oil, whipped eggs and sugar, and even more brownie experiments. Read the post to discover what makes a brownie cakey, fudgy, or chewy and which experiment was my favorite! I hope it will help you in creating your version of the ultimate brownie. Be sure to stay tuned both here and over at Relish for more posts like this!

Favorite Brownie recipes from @handleheat - Cookie Dough Brownies, Slutty Brownies, Peppermint Bark Brownies, etc.!

Since we’re on the subject of brownies I figured I’d whet your brownie appetite by rounding up some of my favorite brownie recipes that I’ve posted over the years. Which is your favorite?

Thick & Fudgy Toffee Brownies by Handle the Heat Thick and Fudgy Toffee Brownies

Coconut Oil BrowniesCoconut Oil Brownies

blondie browniesBlondie Brownies

cookiedoughbrowniesCookie Dough Brownies

classicbrowniesClassic Brownies

Peppermint Bark Brownies

Peppermint Bark Brownies

Crinkly BrowniesCrinkly Brownies

Peanut Butter Slutty Brownies from @handleheat - Peanut butter cookie crust, Reese's peanut butter cups, and topped with brownie!Peanut Butter Slutty Brownies

sluttybrowniesSlutty Brownies

What’s your ultimate ideal brownie? Do you like them chewy, fudgy, cakey, or something else?

12 Responses to “The Ultimate Brownie Guide”

Tieghan — September 16, 2013 at 5:54 am

Fudgy brownies are so my thing!! LOVING these guides, they are awesome!

Ada ~ More Food, Please — September 16, 2013 at 8:55 am

I love your guides! They’re fun and informative :D I’ll eat any kind of brownie, but fudgy ones are my favorite!

• Tessa replied: — September 16th, 2013 @ 10:34 pm

Thanks a lot, I’m glad you like them!

Gaby — September 16, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Love this post! You know how much I love brownies!!

Bonny@cleverhen.com — September 21, 2013 at 2:45 pm

The thick and fudgy toffee brownies look amazing! but so do all of them. I don’t know what one to make first.

Jenny @ The Brunette Baker — September 23, 2013 at 10:06 am

Two Words – Face. Plant.

Sara — September 23, 2013 at 1:50 pm

My favourite ones are not actually on your list, they were the chocolate cinnamon ones you made (I think they were called Mexican brownies). They are actually amazing and I wish I had a big plate of them right now! They are just soooooo good!

Joanne T Ferguson — September 27, 2013 at 8:33 pm

G’day Tessa! What a GREAT experiment and LOVE your photos, true!
    As a very visual food lover, your post today has me craving brownies too!
    I repost on my FB acct..
    Cheers! Joanne

Erika — November 18, 2013 at 9:40 am

When I click over to the relish.com page, it only loads for a few seconds before reverting to the bing.com home page. Do you know why this is happening? I really want to read your post! :(

• Tessa replied: — November 18th, 2013 @ 11:17 am

Hi Erika! I reported this problem to Relish and they’re working to fix it. In the meantime, you can clear your browser’s cache and cookies or simply click on this link: http://relish.com/?setvalid=1 to avoid being rerouted to Bing. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Jasmine — November 29, 2013 at 6:50 am

The link isn’t working

Hanna — December 3, 2013 at 9:03 pm

i love slutty brownies but they are even better if you replace the oreo with a peanut butter cup