20 Things

Today’s post isn’t a recipe one. Instead, I thought it would be fun to share some things you may not know about me. Whenever I read other blogs, whether it be food, fashion, beauty, fitness, home, whatever, I always love to get to know more about the person behind the computer. Hopefully you guys feel the same way!

1. I really dislike mushy foods like beans or peas. I can deal with hummus but I’ve always picked out any beans or peas in my food

2. I also really dislike raw celery, the smell alone makes me gag a little.

3. I lived in Australia for about a year when I was 5 years old. I even went to primary school there and have memories of school uniforms (see the photo below) and receiving lots of attention for my American accent. My little brother was only a baby when we lived there.

4. Now I live in Arizona with my boyfriend of over 4 years who is the guitarist for a touring rock band called The Maine.

5. I own upwards of 50 cookbooks.

6. In junior high I wanted to be a makeup artist. I still love makeup and have way too many MAC and Urban Decay eye shadows.

7. I’ve never broken a bone in my life.

8. I love binge watching television shows.

9. Despite my current ghostly pale skin, I am half Hispanic. My dad is Dominican and my mom is Scottish (I clearly get my mom’s genes). As a kid I was fairly tan, though, I swear! Just look at the photo! Don’t look at the green striped couch, though. What was going on furniture-wise in the 90s?

10. I played the violin in junior high and high school. I gave it up but now I miss playing music.

11. I met Eva Longoria at my dad’s college graduation ceremony when she was still a soap star.

12. I’ve always loved the internet. As a kid back in the days of dial-up I used to get in trouble for spending hours on the internet (creating websites and reading Harry Potter fansites) while tying up the phone line.

13. Our puppy, Chewie, was born last Christmas. He’s the only dog I know who doesn’t like peanut butter.

14. While drafting this post I included something about how much cockroaches creep me out. A few hours later, a cockroach comes crawling across my living room floor.

15. This past summer the photographer for my ice cream sandwich cookbook, Cookies & Cream, came to my house in Arizona to shoot the book photos using the ice cream sandwiches I had prepared. My air conditioning broke on the second day of shooting. Miraculously the team managed to get all the shots.

16. I wish Ron Swanson, Tom Haverford, and Liz Lemon were all real people.

17. I have triple citizenship.

18. I have always been very entrepreneurial and my number one career goal is to work for myself.

19. A major pet peeve of mine is when people start a sentence with “no offense, but…”

20. I have an awful singing voice but that doesn’t stop me from belting out the lyrics to every song on my playlist when I’m driving (alone) in my car. Thank god that Motormouth show was cancelled…

24 Responses to “20 Things”

Tracey — October 24, 2012 at 5:26 am

Love this post Tessa, and the photos of younger you are beyond adorable :) I binge watch tv shows too!

• Tessa replied: — October 24th, 2012 @ 10:04 am

Thank you! My first tv binge was with “24″ which made me feel like a crack addict.

Bea — October 24, 2012 at 7:39 am

Aw! hahaha, the way you speak of yourself… you’re so cute!

Nicole — October 24, 2012 at 7:43 am

It’s so nice to know about you! I didn’t know you were half-Dominican :) I am 100% Dominican, hehe. And I share your loathe of cockroaches. Yuck.

• Tessa replied: — October 24th, 2012 @ 10:09 am

How cool :) UGH I hate cockroaches. Right before my family went on a trip to the Dominican Republic my dad tried to scare me by saying the cockroaches there are as big as your hand. Luckily I didn’t see a single one on that trip!

Aimee M — October 24, 2012 at 7:56 am

Stop it, I LOVE The Maine! I was supposed to see them in New Jersey in 2 days but now I can’t make it down until Saturday morning (I live in CT). You’re one lucky girl :) Hope you keep yourself busy while they’re on tour!

• Tessa replied: — October 24th, 2012 @ 10:10 am

Have fun! They practiced hard for this tour!

Kelsi — October 24, 2012 at 9:01 am

I, too, dislike beans and peas and raw celery! I have been learning to enjoy certain types of beans (like hummus, edamame, and garden fresh string beans blanched with lemon juice and butter and salt). I only buy celery to make soup stock. No wonder the foods you make are so appealing to me… we have the same palette!

• Tessa replied: — October 24th, 2012 @ 10:11 am

How funny is that?! I always thought I was the only one ;) I only use celery in soups and sauces, too. I HATE it when you order a salad at a restaurant and there’s a bunch of raw celery in it.

Lysa — October 24, 2012 at 9:26 am

Great post! Love Parks & Rec (mainly for Ron Swanson antics :P) & 30 Rock!

I’m an Arizonian too-born & raised :)

• Tessa replied: — October 24th, 2012 @ 10:11 am

“Give me all the bacon you have” is a Ron Swanson quote to live by :) Are you in the Phoenix area?

Mimi — October 24, 2012 at 10:54 am

Oh em gee! That road map that you’re sitting on in the picture with your cat–I had the same exact one!

• Tessa replied: — November 1st, 2012 @ 8:09 pm

How funny! If it weren’t for that photo I wouldn’t have remembered that road map.

Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats — October 25, 2012 at 9:59 am

“16. I wish Ron Swanson, Tom Haverford, and Liz Lemon were all real people.”

• Tessa replied: — November 1st, 2012 @ 8:10 pm

I can’t think of chicken Parmesan without saying “chicky chicky parm parm.”

Johanna — October 25, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I like that couch! (and the cat too!)

• Tessa replied: — November 1st, 2012 @ 8:10 pm

That cat did not like us very much!

Krystal — October 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Hi, first time replier, long time reader. love your website!
    I think I said “me tooooo!!!!” like 10 times while reading this post haha
    I’m convinced Liz Lemon and I are kindred spirits :)

• Tessa replied: — November 1st, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

Thank you for commenting! Sometimes I feel like Tina Fey writes 30 Rock for me specifically (especially when Ina Garten makes a cameo).

Denise — October 31, 2012 at 12:39 am

Have you ever been attacked by a flying cockroach? My friends and I went to this food market where a cockroach was enjoying his time flying from one fluorescent light to another. We weren’t able to eat in peace for a while. Ooh, and I once had a cockroach land on my hair. I freaked out!

• Tessa replied: — November 1st, 2012 @ 8:12 pm

NO!!! I’ve never had the misfortune of being in physical contact with a cockroach before. I would die.

Lauren — November 12, 2012 at 3:48 pm

You’re half Dominican! Wow I can’t believe it because you’re so blonde lol!

Valeria — December 6, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Thank you so much for sharing! I love your blog!! BTW my boyfriend is Dominican and his mom’s last name is Arias too :-)

Margarito Denley — May 5, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Eye shadow adds depth and dimension to one’s eyes, complements the eye color, or simply draws attention to the eyes. Eye shadow comes in many different colors and textures. It is usually made from a powder and mica, but can also be found in liquid, pencil, or mousse form.^*

Most current blog post on our very own web-site
    <http://beautyfashiondigest.com