Baked Pasta with Summer Vegetables

With pasta, life is sweet. With pasta and cheese baked into gooey and bubbly goodness, life is nearly perfect. No one will notice that there’s practically an entire summer garden in this dish. No one will notice the whole-grain. They’ll only taste something that’s utterly satisfying, heart-warming, yet light enough for summer.
Taste: Summery cheesy freshness.
Texture: Al dente pasta, creamy cheese, and tender veggies. This dish reminded me how much I adore ricotta.
Appearance: It looks great coming out of the oven – the cheese is bubbling and browned. I loved the chunks of colorful vegetables.
Ease: Easy to prepare, simple ingredients, takes less than a half hour.
Pros: Perfect summer meal. Any vegetables you like or have on hand can be substituted.
Cons: None except next time I might also add some chicken or turkey sausage for some heartiness.
Would I make this again? Yes.

Baked Pasta with Summer Vegetables
Serves 4
From Cooking Light July 2011
  • 6 ounces uncooked tube-shaped whole-wheat pasta (ziti, penne, rigatoni, etc.)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped yellow squash
  • 1 cup chopped zucchini
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cups chopped tomato
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400° F.

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add squash, zucchini, and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomato and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in pasta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.

Combine ricotta, remaining salt, and egg. Stir into pasta mixture. Spoon into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until bubbly and browned. Serve with salad greens.

Get my *Favorite Desserts* e-cookbook for free!

Don't miss a recipe! Sign up to get new posts delivered via email and receive a FREE E-COOKBOOK!

9 Responses to “Baked Pasta with Summer Vegetables”

Caroline — July 27, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Yum! You always have the best dinner ideas! :-) My husband would go nuts over this. He loves all things cheesy….as do I. ;-)

Erin — July 27, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Cover anything in cheese and I will probably eat it, but the vegetables sound great in this!

Maris — July 27, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Only you can make pasta seem so elegant and I want to use the word delightful!

Shari — July 27, 2011 at 3:18 pm

This looks awesome!

vincent — July 27, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=sit… or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

Russell van K. — July 28, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I love pasta and I love, love, love baked pasta. This recipe looks incredible. I love all the delicious, fresh ingredients you've put in this. I can't wait to try this next time I plan to bake up a pasta dish.

Tessa — July 29, 2011 at 4:53 am

Baked pasta, but not for too long (so the house doesn't heat up). Sounds and looks great. Thanks for the idea!

Amber — August 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Is 6 ounces the correct amount of pasta or was it meant to be 16 ounces?

• handleheat replied: — August 2nd, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

Amber – 6 ounces is the correct amount. This is a “light” dish – the actual individual serving size for tubular pasta is 2 ounces. You could always increase the amount of pasta – just be sure to add a bit more of the cheeses so it won't be too dry.