Corn Potato Chowder

Soup may be the ultimate comfort food. It’s warm, inviting, and nourishing to the mind and body. Chowder is my favorite kind of soup, who wouldn’t love its rich and creamy heartiness? This recipe is a breeze as it requires just five minutes of prep work since it utilizes frozen corn. If you would like to use fresh instead, go ahead. Just set aside some time for husking and removing the kernels. Also, while while chives give a pleasant onion-y kick, if you don’t have any on hand feel free to use Italian parsley. Whatever you do, don’t skip out on fresh herbs, they tie the dish together and makes it taste fresh.

Taste: Earthy, fresh, and slightly sweet.
Texture: The soup is creamy while the potatoes are perfectly soft and chunky
Ease: Very easy! Simple prep work and just a half hour cooking time.
Appearance: I love the combination of green chives, yellow corn, and red potatoes.
Pros: Quick, easy, and perfect for lunch or as an addition to dinner.
Cons: None, except this dish could potentially be diminished by low-quality frozen corn, so use the best you can afford.
Would I make this again? Yes!

Corn Potato Chowder
Serves 4-6
Adapted from Shape November 2009

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1 stalk celery, minced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 4 cups water
  • 3 small red potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch dice
  • 3 cups frozen sweet corn kernels
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • chopped chives

In a stockpot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper is using. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until the onion and celery begin to soften.

Add potatoes then water to pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Partially cover and simmer gently for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are completely soft.

Add corn and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in milk and cream and heat very gently for 1 minute more, Season with pepper, ladle into bowls, top with chives, serve.

Get my *Favorite Desserts* e-cookbook for free!

Don't miss a recipe! Sign up to get new posts delivered via email and receive a FREE E-COOKBOOK!

12 Responses to “Corn Potato Chowder”

Erin — June 30, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Do you think this would freeze well? I worry it would not due to the cream. I'm looking for good freezer meals. But it looks delicious enough that I will make it either way!

Sonia Rumzi — June 30, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Yummy yummy yummy Tessa! I love that. It looks beautiful too.

Maris — June 30, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Mouthwatering! I totally agree that soup is the best comfort food around!

Leslie — June 30, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Yum! This looks totally yummy. I love corn chowder, but it is usually so thick and rich I can scarcely imagine how unhealthy it is. This looks like a great alternative!

greenthyme — July 2, 2011 at 12:11 am

Tessa, I am loving your blog! This looks great and super easy! I love all kinds of soup recipes. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to go through some of your archives.

Sanjeeta kk — July 2, 2011 at 3:59 pm

How creamy and refreshing the Chowder look! Have just browsed some of your cookies and am loving this space already :)

tiffany sexton — July 3, 2011 at 1:04 am

Just wanted to let u know I just found your blog and I am in love!! I think my printer is going to have a meltdown from the amount of recipes I printed. I get a lot of the same magazines/cookbooks and of course tear out the recipes but seem to never make them. You break them down and make it seem easy. Thank you so much and my very bored family will soon thank you! Meal planning is now going to be fun. Now I have to go eat the boring tacos I really don't want since my head is full of wonderful meals!

TARArhee — August 8, 2011 at 12:56 am

I made this tonight and it was fabulous!

Bethany — February 27, 2012 at 11:32 pm

just made this for dinner….AMAZING! Thanks for sharing. Found it through Pinterest!

Genny — March 13, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Does canned corn work ok?

Missy — April 4, 2013 at 7:06 am

I am about to make this recipe for my hubby and I tonight! I came across it while stumbling in FireFox under the food/cooking channel. It looks wonderful and it was all things I had in the house already!

I read the comment about chowders being so thick and rich but unhealthy, I just wanted to let them know, just cause it’s thick and seems rich, that there for it’s unhealthy. I am going to slightly alter this recipe tonight already to make it thicker! But simple ways. Firstly I won’t be using cream but I’ll be using a light version of soya cream, 2nd I won’t be using full milk but half skim milk (I’m also lactose intolerant and my milk only comes 1 way) but then before I add my liquid I’m going to add a bit of my gluten free flour to make a roux first which will thicken it and give it that richness without being unhealthy :) Oh and I plan to boil the potatoes before adding them to the soup, only real way I see to getting them cooked if I want to make it this way.

Well that is going to be my version… everyone has to adapt recipes to fit their needs :) I look forward to this project! Thank you for the recipe!

Blog owner – when I do make this and if it comes out blog worth, would it be ok to post the recipe on my blog with how I did it with credits to your post here?