A Homemade Kitchen: Easy Vanilla Ice Cream

A Homemade Kitchen series includes recipes that feature homemade versions of your favorite store-bought meals, snacks, treats, condiments and more. Homemade is better for your budget, body, and taste buds.

Have you ever tasted homemade ice cream? If not, you’re truly missing out. The simple, unadulterated flavors of homemade ice cream are almost sinful. Not as sinful as store-bought ice cream though, which offers wonderful ingredients such as mono and diglycerides, high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors and colors, and a bunch of others I don’t even know how to pronounce.  This homemade ice cream, however, only has 4 ingredients. And best of all, you get to choose what they are and where they came from. If you wanted to get real naturale on me, you could even substitute something like maple syrup for the granulated sugar. My favorite part of this recipe is how dirt cheap it is to make, no eggs or vanilla beans, but all the flavor.

P.S. -  I’m not trying to claim this ice cream recipe is healthy. I’m just saying it’s not full of creepy ingredients and it tastes a heck of a lot better than any ice cream from the freezer aisle. As with any treat, moderation is key!

P.P.S. – You will need an ice cream machine to make this recipe. If you don’t have one, buy one! Or borrow one. I use mine at least once a month.

Easy Vanilla Ice Cream
Makes 10 1/2-cup servings

• 1 cup whole milk, chilled
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
  • 1 tablespoon high-quality pure vanilla extract

In a medium bowl using a hand mixer on low speed, whisk the milk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved, 1-2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and vanilla. Pour mixture into ice cream machine and let thicken, following manufacturer’s directions. Freeze for 2 hours until firm before serving.

17 Responses to “A Homemade Kitchen: Easy Vanilla Ice Cream”

Jenn — May 29, 2011 at 3:39 am

Nothing compares to homemade ice cream. My grocery store just got in a bunch of ice cream makers and every time I walk by them, I am so tempted to buy one, but if I did, I know I would be making ice cream constantly.

Marti — May 29, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I make mine with fat-free greek yogurt and lots of fruit. But every once in awhile, I have to have a little vanilla. This looks great!

Emily — May 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I've been dabbling with new ice cream recipes this week (first time to make homemade!), so this post came at the perfect time! And I love that there aren't any eggs – I've been heating all of my ingredients and then chilling, and then churning. That takes a while! Thanks for sharing, and I'm loving your blog – wonderful recipes and insights! :)

kennith — May 29, 2011 at 6:27 pm

this was fast&eazy thanks!

maris — May 29, 2011 at 8:40 pm

No comparison to store bought ice cream! This looks awespme

Claire K Creations — May 30, 2011 at 10:37 am

Ooh this does look good and I love that there's no egg-cooking or custard making!

Erin — May 30, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Goodness, I want homemade ice cream right now. This post comes in perfect time with Memorial Day and summer. I have a good feeling that once I get settled in my new home (and get that ice cream maker attachment to my blender) that this ice cream is going to become a staple in our home.

Thanks for sharing!

megan@aDASHofMEGNUT — June 2, 2011 at 12:22 am

4 ingredients?!?! this looks awesome! i'm making this as soon as the bowl of my ice cream maker is frozen :)

hannah — June 4, 2011 at 5:45 pm

can you substitute the whole milk for fat free and then the heavy cream for low-fat milk? Or could you use greek yogurt instead of the cream?

handleheat — June 4, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Hannah – I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question. Substituting lower fat milk for the whole milk is possible – your final product might not be very creamy though. You could also substitute whole milk or half and half for the heavy cream, but again your final product's texture will be changed. As for using yogurt – you might have better luck finding a frozen yogurt recipe! This one looks like it might produce a nice result (with adaptions made from comments) – http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/creamy-vanilla-froze

Colleen Dawson — February 27, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Hi, i bought a Nordic ware, supremer ice creamer, at a discount store, and it came with NO booklet, or recipe or instruction book. the cat number is:08000.Is there any place i could find the instructions and recipe book for this machine, thanks, Colleen Dawson , fort erie ontario

• handleheat replied: — February 27th, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

Hi Colleen. I'm sorry to say I've had no experience with any Nordicware ice cream makers. I was able to find this website though – http://www.ehow.com/how_7323266_nordic-ware-ice-c… – not sure if that matches the machine you have but I hope it helps.

adrian — July 2, 2012 at 2:49 am

Thanks to you, i just might win the ice cream contest i'm in this month!!!

male edge before and after — April 18, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed!

Extremely useful info particularly the last part :) I care for such info a
    lot. I was seeking this certain information for a long time.
    Thank you and good luck.

hotelparador.com — April 18, 2013 at 8:23 pm

We stumbled over here coming from a different website and thought I should check things out.
    I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to finding out about your web page yet again.

converting doc to pdf — July 4, 2013 at 5:01 pm