Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies

Last week I posted a recipe for “classic brownies“. A recipe that to me represents the ultimate brownie recipe. Easy enough to make on a weeknight, and the perfect taste and texture. But what I didn’t mention in that post was that within the same month not only had I found my new favorite brownie recipe, but also my new favorite chocolate chip recipe. It was the holy grail of American desserts. And now I’m sharing with you part II.

For me, the perfect chocolate chip cookie is crisp at the edges, chewy throughout, studded with lots of chocolate chips or chunks, and gooey in the middle. This recipe hits all those marks. Plus, it’s easy to make. There’s no chilling of the dough, they can be eaten warm, they stay soft days after being made, the dough freezes wonderfully, they don’t burn easily, they don’t spread too much. Really, I could not sing higher praises for this recipe. You really just have to try it out to see for yourself. But if you do, be careful. You may go into cookie overdose.

Taste: Sweet, slightly butterscotch-y, and oh-so chocolate-y.
Texture: Perfect texture. Crisp at the edges, soft, chewy, and gooey inside.
Ease: Super easy!
Appearance: Just about perfect.
Pros: This will become your go-to crisp & chewy chocolate chip cookie. Plus, the dough freezes beautifully.
Cons: Dangerously addictive.
Would I make this again? Oh hell yes.

Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
From All Recipes
Makes about 4 dozen cookies

• 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons hot water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand-held electric mixer, cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water then add to batter along with salt. Mix in flour until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips with a rubber spatula. Using a spring-loaded ice-cream scoop, drop even and large spoonfuls of dough onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
  3. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned

21 Responses to “Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies”

Maris — May 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm

These are exactly the way i like them too. Your picture is so perfect!

Café Sucré Farine — May 4, 2011 at 4:08 pm

These are making me very hungry! Great photos of fantastic looking cookies! Your description is making me think that I need to make these……..soon!! Thanks!

Mary — May 4, 2011 at 8:01 pm

OMG! I'm baking these. Tonight.

White Cocoa — May 4, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Yummm, always looking for new cookie recipes!

kleebriggs — May 4, 2011 at 9:39 pm

What a great idea using the hot water! I must test these out!

Maria — May 5, 2011 at 1:12 pm

They look perfect!

Adam Green — May 8, 2011 at 4:55 am

These are “absolutely beautiful!” The perfect combination of crisp and chew. I am going to try this recipe with “Xocai Healthy Chocolate” as the alternative to the “semisweet chocolate chips.” I am a die hard for “dark chocolate” and I am certain that this recipe will please! thanks for sharing!

~Adam Paul Green
    http://mxi.myvoffice.com/cacaopow/ http://myxocai.com/cacaopow/15-reasons-to-try-xoc

adnana — May 13, 2011 at 11:10 pm

ok, so i did a double batch and for the first time in my life i felt like my house was a bakery:)the smell, the taste, and the final product(a mountain of delicious cookies) made me 100% sure this recipe is my favorite:)

Melanie — May 25, 2011 at 3:33 am

The muffins look great… it's always nice to find a low fat recipe. Especially if it includes chocolate!

Jayce Yard — September 12, 2011 at 10:53 pm

these are soooo good! i made them a while ago, and I'm about to start making some now :)

Jayce Yard — September 22, 2011 at 1:57 am

wait, i have a question. If i want to make 2 dozen cookies and i change the proportions of the ingredients to match 2 dozen cookies, then will the flavor/texture be altered?

• handleheat replied: — September 22nd, 2011 @ 1:59 am

Jayce – Nothing should be altered as long as you do your math right ;) I halve this recipe all the time.

Amber Schaefer — January 15, 2012 at 12:39 am

This recipe is amazing! It may be my FAVORITE chocolate chip cookie recipe out there! They were chewy, thick, and everything else a good chocolate chip cookie should be. Thank you for posting such a great recipe! :)

Kate — February 8, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I've made these cookies twice – after trying about 25 other chocolate chip cookie recipes – and now I don't think that I'll experiment with other cookies ever again. These are perfect in every way. They're crisp around the edges but still have a little bit of chew in the middle, plus they're gorgeous. I love that they don't spread too much! Really, these are the best cookies that I have ever tasted.

Samantha — April 3, 2012 at 2:23 am

These cookies have the best texture ever! I love chewy cookies and these are the epitome of perfection. I shared these on my own blog and make them often. Thanks!

Guest — July 6, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I never comment on food blogs…mainly just gawk. However, I tried this recipe tonight and I have to say that I have finally found “the one”. This is about the sixth ccc recipe I have tried recently…trying to find my favorite. I do not have to look further. This cookie is awesome!!!!!!

Jenna — August 11, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I have made these twice now! Just wanted to say thanks for the PERFECT chocolate chip cookie recipe–they’re almost better than my Moms! :)

Ashley — October 28, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I saw these on AllRecipes.com, too — but your blog post convinced me to bake them. We’re currently hunkered down for Hurricane Sandy and what better way to be prepared than with cookies?! I’ll definitely post this to my blog, http://www.FancyFork.wordpress.com later this week! You know… when power comes back. :-P

Thanks for the inspiration!

Kate — January 2, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Made these and used mint chocolate chips and they were fantastic!

1. Pingback: Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER! « Craftcastic!

2. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookies | Food and Stuff