Espresso “Brookies”

I love cookies. I love brownies. They are my two favorite desserts. They’re not difficult to make, eat, or store. They are the ultimate comfort treats in my opinion. So you can imagine my excitement when I discovered a selection of recipes on the internet labeled “brownie cookies”. Thank you, culinary gods, for combining my two most favorite desserts into one sweet morsel. I shall call this morsel “brookie”. Because “crownie” sounds gross.

Taste: Super duper chocolate-y. The espresso flavor only enhances the chocolate flavor.
Texture: Despite this recipe containing less butter than most cookie recipes I’ve used, these “brookies” taste significantly richer. This is due in part to the small amount of flour, which reminds me of the texture of flourless chocolate cake or a very fudgey brownie. However, I don’t think anything can replace the thick chewiness that a tall brownie can offer.
Ease: Very easy.
Appearance: These literally look like brownies in cookie form with the richly brown crackled top.
Pros: Perfect for when you’re craving both cookies and brownies. Which, if you’re like me, is always.
Cons: None. except for the lack of chewiness.
Would I make this again? Probably.

Espresso “Brookies”
Adapted from Petite Kitchenesse via Brown Eyed Baker
Makes around 3 dozen cookies

• 2⅔ cups (around 16 oz.) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 4 tablespoons of butter, softened
  • 4 eggs
  • 1⅓ cups of granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ cup of all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder

Preheat over to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler, stirring occasionally, until a smooth mixture forms. Alternatively, melt in a heat-proof bowl in the microwave in short 15-20 second bursts until melted, stirring after each burst. While chocolate and butter are melting, combine eggs, vanilla, and sugar in a large bowl and set aside.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and espresso. Whisk chocolate and butter into the egg mixture until well combined. Gradually stir in flour, baking powder, and espresso until a smooth batter forms. Chill batter in the fridge for an hour, or until firm.

Drop tablespoons of batter onto prepared baking sheets, spacing at least 2 inches apart. Bake for 8–10 minutes, until crackled and firm on the outside. Don’t overbake!

9 Responses to “Espresso “Brookies””

Maris — April 8, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Great job! This looks amazing. i am now a brookie fan too!

Erica Lea — April 8, 2011 at 2:57 pm

These look amazingly scrumptious, Tessa! I may need to make them sometime…the espresso sounds lovely. :)

Caroline — April 8, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Nothing but YUM! :-D Sounds and looks delicious!

Linds@TheLeanGrnBean — April 8, 2011 at 9:24 pm

yum! i've been working on a brownie cookie as well! i

Tracy — April 9, 2011 at 1:21 am

Not to sound ignorant but when you say 1 tablespoon espresso, you are referring to espresso powder . . .right?

• Tessa replied: — April 9th, 2011 @ 2:08 am

Yes, instant espresso powder. I edited the recipe to be more specific, thanks for pointing that out to me!

Tara — April 20, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I did a double take when I read the title to this recipe. In South Africa, “brookies” are old-time slang for panties! Teehee!
    Thanks for the recipe, it looks delicious!

Sarah — April 22, 2011 at 6:06 pm

This looks like a nice everyday recipe. I'm bookmarking this for later. I've seen these before but never heard the term “brookies” before. Very fun. :)

Mathilde Evilsizer — April 22, 2013 at 3:25 pm

There are three main myths about the creation of the brownie. The first, that a chef accidentally added melted chocolate to biscuit dough. The second, a cook forgot to add flour to the batter. And thirdly, the most popular belief, that a housewife did not have baking powder and improvised with this new treat. It was said that she was baking for guests and decided to serve these flattened cakes to them. This became our beloved treat of today. Whatever may be the case; all three myths have gained popularity throughout the years due to its mysterious beginnings.’

Check out our blog site as well