Eat Healthy Week 5 – Snacks

Well we’ve made it through the first month of 2011. I hope your year has been full of health and happiness (and peanut butter) so far. I also hope you haven’t abandoned your New Year’s resolutions just yet. Even if you have, this recipe might save you. It incorporates several of the topics I’ve already covered in this Eat Healthy series – switching to whole wheat, eating breakfast, and switching from store-bought to homemade. Every little granola square is full of protein and peanut butter-chocolate goodness. No refined sugar, preservatives, artificial flavors or colors. Make a tray of these granola squares (seriously, it takes about a half hour to whip up) and you will have a week’s worth of healthy snacks (or quick breakfast) for yourself and your family.

Also, can I just say that granola bars are so much better than granola all free form? Having something thick and chewy to sink your teeth into is just so much more satisfying.

Check out Eat Healthy Week one, two, three, and four for more easy recipes.

Taste: If you didn’t know it already, I love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. This is pretty much the granola version of one of my favorite cookies.
Texture: Chewy in the middle, slightly crisp around the edges, with studs of chocolate chips and peanut chunks throughout.

Ease: Just a few simple ingredients mixed together and baked off.
Appearance: These granola bars just look like they’re ready to sink your teeth into.
Pros: Just as tasty as the packaged variety but even better for you.
Cons: None.
Would I make this again? Yes! Next time I think I’ll add peanut butter chips (as soon as I find somewhere local to buy them).

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
From How Sweet it Is
Makes 12-16 bars

• 4 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
  • 3/4 cup natural peanut butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup brown rice syrup or honey
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat over to 350. In a large bowl, combine oats, and peanuts. Add brown rice syrup (or honey) and peanut butter, mix to combine. Add in chocolate chips and stir to evenly distribute. If mixture is still too dry (this can depend on your ingredients) add more peanut butter or syrup (or honey) 1 tablespoon at a time until moistened.
2. Using a spatula or your hands, press dough evenly in a greased (non-stick spray) 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes.

11 Responses to “Eat Healthy Week 5 – Snacks”

newestedwards — February 2, 2011 at 12:01 am

Yum! I love it! So easy and a tasty treat you won't feel bad for indulging in! :-) Thanks for sharing!

Caroline
    chocolateandcarrots.com

Lindsey — February 2, 2011 at 12:31 am

These look delicious! I was just thinking about making my own granola bars for the husband…perhaps I'll get my act together and make these this weekend. Thanks for posting!

jenna — February 2, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Yum! I love peanut butter and chocolate. I love your recipe rundown too – brilliant idea!

El — February 3, 2011 at 5:26 am

These look incredible. Can't wait to try them!

Kate — February 8, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Hi-

So I made these yesterday and while they are super delicious, they are a bit crumbly. I realize that I need to add more PB or honey/rice syrup, but I was wondering what consistency are you looking for before they go into the oven? At the time I thought I had achieved a good consistency, but maybe not. Although, I was thinking, maybe the baking time was too long? I don't know. Any ideas/help you can provide, I would appreciate. Thanks!

Tessa — February 8, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Kate – The consistency you want is very moist. You want the solid ingredients to be suspended within the liquid ingredients (PB & rice syrup). Maybe decrease the baking time to 20 (or even 15) minutes, your oven may run a little hot. Also, this recipe can be turned into an unbaked granola bar by simply letting the bars sit in the fridge for an hour after combining all the ingredients and pressing them into your pan. Hope that helps!

Kate — February 10, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Tessa-

Thanks! I will try again next week. I'm sure my midwife doesn't want me eating two batches of this stuff in a week! I have to say, I really like your website. My husband LOVES the mongolian beef recipe (I think he said if he eats nothing ever again, he will die a happy man).

livininthekitchen — February 11, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Oh my gosh! I am certifiably obsessed with peanut butter and oats, so it's fair to say that I could devour these!
    Jess :D

MelKat — February 12, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I just made these (added craisins instead of chocolate) and they're delicious! A bit crumbly (I ran out of honey) but so good. I had been looking for homemade granola bar recipes for a while now, and this was the easiest and tastiest I've found.

1. Pingback: Peanut Butter, Banana, Pretzel Granola Bars Recipe | FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith — Family Fresh Cooking

2. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Recipes | Recipe Girl