Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Pumpkin. Yum.  I hope you like it as much as I do because you’ll probably be seeing a lot more pumpkin recipes to come. Like the maple cinnamon sugar donuts I made last week, these were made in another vain attempt to make the 111 degree heat (!!) in Pheonix feel more like a crisp and golden-hued autumn day. I think these cookies might have actually worked because the temperatures have dropped from 111 degrees a few days ago to 100 today with a low of 70 (!!!). So, not only are these cookies delicious, but it appears they are magical too. ;)

Don’t forget to enter my electric knife sharpener giveaway!

Taste: Warm with the flavors of fall yet still cravingly sweet.
Texture: This cookie is definitely more cake-like than anything. Usually I like my cookies to be chewy but its always nice to have something a little different every once in a while.

Ease: Very easy (unless you live somewhere suffering from a canned pumpkin shortage, then not so easy. I found mine at Whole Foods).
Appearance: These look like regular chocolate chip cookies turned slightly orange in hue which I like because it feels festive and gives people about to bite into them a hint that there’s something different.
Pros: Lovely way to easily incorporate fall flavor and some fruit into your regular baking rotation.
Cons: While the texture isn’t my favorite, I found these cookies very appetizing still warm from the oven. As time went on they continued to become more fluffy and cake-like. This can be a pro or con depending on your preferences.
Would I make this again? Probably next year because I have so many pumpkin recipes on my To Make list.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 cups (12-ounce bag) milk chocolate chips, not semisweet
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray cookie sheets with nonstick spray or line them with parchment paper.

2. Using a mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Beat in the white and brown sugars, a little at a time, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time, then mix in the vanilla and pumpkin puree.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Slowly beat the flour mixture into the batter in thirds. Stir in the chips.

4. Scoop the cookie dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheets and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cookies are browned around the edges.

5. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and let them rest for 2 minutes. Take the cookies off with a spatula and cool them on wire racks.

13 Responses to “Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies”

Lindsey — September 24, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I'm like you–there are so many great pumpkin recipes to try…so thanks for posting these!

Kathryn — September 24, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Oh my gosh, I love pumpkin ANYTHING! I'll have to try that recipe ASAP!

Liz — September 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Thse look great- so many pumpkin ones floating around!

Lisa — September 25, 2010 at 5:22 am

Nothing says fall like pumpkin desserts and pumpkin cookies are one of my favorites. Yours look so yummy. I used to live in Arizona, so I can totally relate about the 100+ heat in September.

Lauren — September 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm

These look so lovely Tessa! Pumpkin is perfect as the weather changes (here it's been much cooler than there!), and cookies are always a sure way to make my family happy – Love!

Pretty. Good. Food. — September 26, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I am so happy to see pumpkin filled recipes! This is my favorite time of year when everything you bite into has some pumpkin peeking through! Looks delicious! I am going to give these a try this week :)

Rose Forever — September 27, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Oh. This is so perfect! I have three pumpkins that will be ready for harvesting this coming weekend! Will definitely try this out! Well, I really do not know how I will use these pumpkins but this is one that I should try! Plus, my kids really love cookies!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — September 29, 2010 at 1:47 am

I have a bit of a pumpkin obsession, and these cookies look fabulous! I'll definitely be making these :)

Melanie Tiger — October 4, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Pumpkin! My pumpkin plant has a pumpkin already and I can’t wait to made cookies out of it. Lol. I just hope that it will taste like your cookies. I will probably ask for a professional baker to guide me with my baking procedures. I am not really a good baker but your recipe is really easy.

bakedinmaine.com — October 8, 2010 at 2:14 am

Yay! I LOVE pumpkin chocolate chip cookies!

Just can't wait to make these soon…

Lisa
    xo

Sophia — October 11, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Wow, what delicious-looking cookies. I love sweets and these cookies look mouth-watering! I usually stick to these Brownie Cookies. They're pretty tasty too!

Mel Schoenhut — October 14, 2010 at 9:22 am

I just tried making these pumpkin cookies. But I add some cream cheese frosting to add some flavor and sweets on the cookies. Thanks for the recipe.

claire — October 20, 2010 at 7:34 pm

yum! i love pumpkin on ANY and EVERYTHING!

Love your photos… Wish mine were half as good!