Happy 4th of July! I’m celebrating America’s independence with a recipe that’s perfect for a summer BBQ. Its quick, flavorful, and healthy. I hope that everyone enjoys the warm air, grilled goodies, and exploding fireworks today. And if you’re not American, enjoy your Sunday (or Monday, depending on where you’re located!).
Taste: Wonderfully flavorful, a little spicy, and super fresh. This recipe produced tacos that are better than most I’ve had at Spanish restaurants.
Texture: The steak is tender and the salsa lends both a satisfying crunch and a indulgent velvety texture.
Ease: Very easy and quick. You don’t even have to let this marinade and it will still produce super flavorful beef.
Appearance: Beautiful combination of colors and shapes. My red cabbage went bad before I could use it for this recipe so unfortunately there’s no brilliant red-purple in my photo.
Cons: The salsa can’t be saved for leftover snacks or meals but chances are there won’t be any salsa left.
Pros: Quick, easy, healthy, and bursting with flavor.
Would I make this again? Yes!
Chili Rubbed Steak Tacos
From Ellie Krieger’s The Food You Crave
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- A pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 pound top sirloin steaks cut 1-inch thick
- 12 small corn tortillas (5 to 6 inches in diameter)
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Cucumber-Avocado Salsa (recipes below)
2. Grill or broil steaks for 5 to 6 minutes on each side for medium rare, turning once. Remove from grill and let meat sit for 10 minutes. Carve into thin slices.
3. Warm tortillas by placing them on the grill, for about 30 seconds, turning once. Or place 6 tortillas at a time between 2 moist paper towels and microwave for 45 seconds. Wrap in cloth napkin or place in a tortilla warmer to keep warm.
4. Place the carved steak, warm tortillas, cabbage, cilantro, lime and Cucumber-Avocado Salsa in serving dishes and let diners make their own tacos at the table.
- 1 medium English cucumber, seeded and diced
- 2 medium firm-ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup)
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped, or to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and toss gently to combine. Serve within an hour or preparing.