White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies

Recently I’ve noticed that despite how popular white chocolate macadamia nut cookies are in bakeries and stores, there’s not a wide variety of recipes available for this type of cookie. Not even Martha Stewart’s Cookies cookbook has a recipe. While I like white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, chocolate chip cookies will always be my favorite, and apparently I’m not the only one considering the small collection of w.c.m.n recipes (typing that out gets annoying, perhaps another reason for the limited selection?). But my boyfriend’s favorite cookies are w.c.m.n. so I decided to scour the internet and cookbooks for a decent recipe to make for him and found a definite keeper from Field Guide to Cookies. This recipe is straightforward, no freezing or chilling or rolling of any sort, you don’t even have to let the butter come to room temperature. My only issue is with a certain hard to find ingredient (you know who you are, macadamia nut).

Taste: Whoever decided to combine white chocolate with macadamia nuts is a very smart person. The flavors are dreamy together. It reminds me of the sweet saltiness of regular chocolate and peanut butter combined.
Texture: This recipe contains what I consider to be a cookie texture trifecta: crisp at the edges, soft on the inside, with a chewy inner bite. Then add one more textural element from the crunchiness of the nuts and its a jackpot.
Ease: Like I mentioned earlier, this recipe is very easy and straightforward to follow, the hardest part for me was finding the macadamia nuts.
Appearance: Is there a cookie out there that doesn’t look cute and delicious?
Expense: Macadamia nuts aren’t cheap, or easy to find. I ended up purchasing mine at Whole Foods in the bulk produce section for about $7, with some left over.
Pros: Its always a plus when a simple recipe can produce such a timelessly delicious treat.
Cons: I stored the cookies in an airtight container but unfortunately they didn’t stay soft and chewy for as long as I would have liked.
Would I make this again? For sure.

White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
Adapted from Field Guide to Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & cooled
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts

1. Adjust an oven rack to lower-middle position and heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl.

2. In a large bowl, beat the melted butter and sugars together with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined.

3. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture until combined. Mix in the white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts until incorporated.

4. Working with 2 tablespoons of dough at a time, roll the dough into even balls and lay them on the baking sheets, spaced about 2 inches apart.

5. Bake the cookies until the edges are set and beginning to brown but the centers are still soft and puffy, about 16 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes, then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

Get my *Favorite Desserts* e-cookbook for free!

Don't miss a recipe! Sign up to get new posts delivered via email and receive a FREE E-COOKBOOK!

24 Responses to “White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies”

Kacey — March 18, 2010 at 3:43 am

I'm so glad I found your site, and this recipe. I absolutely LOVE WCMN cookies and I've only tried to make them once. It turned out to be a disaster and I was so bummed I blew all of that money on macadamia nuts. You've inspired me to try it again! Thanks!

Heavenly Housewife — March 18, 2010 at 7:12 am

Stunning, this is an absolute favourite flavour of mine. I love the ones I get at Subway but these look even more yummy.
    *kisses* HH

Dimah — March 18, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Beautiful photos! These cookies look great!

Corinne Marro — March 18, 2010 at 3:22 pm

A suggestion: instead of 2 teaspoons of vanilla, use 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon almond extract.

I had run out of vanilla while making these cookies and needed something to compensate, so this was a total accident, but the cookies were AMAZING!

Patty — March 18, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I'm not actually a big fan of white chocolate but these cookies look so good I don't think I can pass them up!

Gala — March 18, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Yup, I've made this kind of cookie too with lime zest added – they where amazing!

aurorafedora — March 27, 2010 at 12:25 am

these are one of my all-time favorite cookie! i will have to make some soon!

Patty — March 31, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Beautiful cookies, great blog post!

Anonymous — May 17, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I just made these! I am living abroad in Sweden and since these are my favorite cookie in America, I had to make them for my Swedish roommate and he loved them too!

Amy — June 10, 2010 at 8:34 am

This cookies are awesome! wow! white chocolate! I never taste this one but I'm sure they are really very yummy..

Carrie — June 24, 2010 at 9:41 am

Yummy,This cookies are awesome and white chocolate is my fav! I never taste this one but I'm sure they are really very very delicious,i tried this at home.thnx for posting.

Becky — September 22, 2010 at 9:51 am

This cookie is so delicious OMG I could bake this over and over again!!!!

Sadie — October 19, 2010 at 8:42 am

Yummy! I found mine to be a bit salty, but I used salted nuts. Next time I will cut out the salt if I have salted nuts or use unsalted nuts. Took these to work and everyone raved!

Reeni — November 7, 2010 at 1:32 am

These are one of my favorite cookies! The combination is just heavenly. Totally addicting! Can't wait to make them!

Christi — December 12, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I live in South Africa, but developed an obsession with Tim Horton's wcmn cookies while working in Toronto for a couple of months…
    I tried out this recipe in SA and these cookies taste like the real thing:)! Yummie!

Jasmine — December 30, 2010 at 5:41 am

omg i love macadamia nut cookies! they are so addicting. i'm glad i found a recipe so i can make my own instead of stalking every nearby subway.

livininthekitchen — January 15, 2011 at 4:35 am

Oh gosh these look good!! White chocolate is on my list of weaknesses, falling right after my #1: peanut butter.

ahealthypassion.com — February 28, 2011 at 12:53 am

im making these right now im so excited to see how they turn out, the dough tastes amazing I cannot stop eating it :)

Heidi — April 18, 2011 at 3:01 am

A little tip for keeping cookies soft (works for brown sugar too) put a piece of bread in the cookie jar (or brown sugar container) and it keeps them moist and fresh longer. Works on store bought or homemade cookies. :) Definitely going to try these!

a soccermom — May 22, 2012 at 6:31 pm

these were great and this really helped me with my speech!!!! thanks :3

soccerdad — May 22, 2012 at 6:51 pm

my wife made these and they were delicious

• soccermom replied: — May 22nd, 2012 @ 6:54 pm

iknw they were good

aaron — October 20, 2012 at 11:45 am

Aloha! My family and I loved this recipe. We used fresh crushed hawaii macadamia nuts from a local farm out here, and the recipe turned out sooo good! mahalo for this blog:)

1. Pingback: dialup speed | The Sweetest Thing