20 More Things About Me
A couple of years ago I did a different kind of post beyond my usual recipe that listed 20 things about me. I thought it would be fun to do another post with 20 more things about me! I don’t know about you but I always love getting to know the person behind the blogs I read. So here are 20 completely random facts about me, accompanied by some very embarrassing childhood photos.
I’d LOVE it if you left me a comment below telling me one interesting fact about yourself!
1. When I was about four years old I tripped and fell on my face so hard that my two front baby teeth were driven up into my gums. My parents spent hours looking for my teeth, not realizing they were in my gums. Luckily I don’t really remember this happening. I lived my life for years without any two front teeth.
Can you see my missing two front teeth here? Looking at this picture my teeth should have been the least of my concerns. Clearly I was lacking in skills related to putting just one shoe on the right foot! Also, that couch.
Then one tooth came in completely before the other. This is probably the funniest childhood photo of me. I look like a completely stoned ballerina. Also, this couch is quite amazing too.
2. Another tooth incident: I once chipped a molar on a whole peppercorn that escaped my pepper grinder.
3. Even if I know I probably won’t like it, I’ll try anything (except insects) at least once. Blood sausage, squab, and smoked salmon are all things I surprisingly didn’t mind after trying.
4. I don’t like horror or slasher movies.
5. But at the same time I’m not squeamish or easily repulsed by the sight of gore. The smell of gross things, on the other hand, can drive me nuts. I have a really strong sense of smell!
6. I hate salt and vinegar chips, it’s the smell again!
7. I love chandeliers. The one on the right is in our closet! Photo from my Instagram.
8. For years I suffered from knee and leg pain, for which the doctors always attributed to growing pains. It turns out I don’t have enough cartilage in my knees and had to go to physical therapy in high school for it.
9. I got two B’s in college; one was in a college-level math class I took in high school. They haunt my straight-A status to this day.
10. I could happily spend my day organizing but absolutely dread cleaning.
11. Onions make me cry RIVERS.
12. I’ve never liked ketchup. This was so difficult as a kid, as every kid-food seems to come doused in ketchup. I remember my mom having to spell out N-O K-E-T-C-H-U-P to the cashier whenever we went to McDonald’s. My cheeseburgers still came out with ketchup on them half the time. Yuck.
13. I discovered Harry Potter when I was young and became obsessed. Like, when I turned thirteen, I fully expected a letter from Hogwarts telling me it wasn’t just fantasy and that I was a muggle-born witch. I quickly overcame my delusions but my love for reading was born out of the series. Thanks JK!
14. The only people who call me “Tess” have been my teachers and bosses. I don’t know why.
15. I love to explore new places but hate the actual physical act of traveling. I get really bad motion sickness. I can’t even read a book in a car or on a plane without getting a headache and nausea.
16. I inherited my love of sweets and chocolate from my dad and my grandmother. It’s totally genetic!
17. I don’t like kale. THERE I SAID IT. I’m so not hip and cool when it comes to the kale food trend. I feel like a dinosaur when I eat it.
18. I didn’t like ice cream as a child, which is funny considering I wrote an entire book about ice cream sandwiches last year. That definitely changed.
19. I’m really interested in DNA and ancestry and would love to send in my DNA to a company like 23 and Me to trace back my roots. I’d also love to map out a detailed family tree.
20. I’ve never been stung by a bee or broken a bone.